The Division of Biological Chemistry seeks symposium proposals that address specific topics relevant to the field of Biological Chemistry. A symposium is a chance to have 4-6 speakers for a half day in an area of interest to the Biological Division of the ACS. Typically the organizer speaks and then invites 3-5 other speakers.
To submit a proposal, please note the following:
1) Proposals are due approximately one year prior to the proposed meeting. The due dates are March 1 and August 1. The March deadline is for the National Meeting held the following Spring and the August deadline is for the following Fall meeting. For example, applications for the Spring 2023 meeting are due March 1, 2022 and applications for the Fall 2023 meeting are due August 1, 2022.
2) Proposals must use the submission template and are limited to one page (11 point font, 0.5 inch margins).
3) Proposals must contain the following:
- The names of the current Division Chair and Program Chair
- ACS and BIOL membership information
- The meeting where the proposed symposium will be held
- A brief description of the proposed symposium
- A list of potential speakers and alternates
- Ideas for possible funding sources
- Diversity Statement (See second page of template, not included in the page limit)
Note: Symposia are typically only a half day in duration. Proposals seeking an entire day (morning and afternoon) should provide an additional justification for this that can be up to a half page in length (beyond the one page allowed above). However, such proposals are particularly difficult to arrange given the limited number of symposia slots available.
Propose a Symposium
Download symposium submission template here: Symposium Template
Send proposals and additional justification (if necessary) as a single pdf file to the current Division Chair and Program Chair via email. Their contact information can be found on the officers page.