The Division of Biological Chemistry will offer travel awards on a competitive basis for faculty at PUIs, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, to attend non-ACS meetings so long as they present a poster or oral presentation on their research, and the meeting is in the area of biological chemistry or chemical biology. The selected awardees will be reimbursed up to $500 for travel and registration expenses. Membership costs are not reimbursable. Receipts must be submitted along with a request for reimbursement after the meeting. The following stipulations apply:
- No more than two awards will be made to one laboratory in a calendar year, via this mechanism.
- No individual can win more than two of these travel awards during their lifetime.
- Applicants must be members of ACS and the BIOL Division, and provide their membership number.
- Applicants must be presenting a talk or poster.
- Awardees are ineligible for additional reimbursement from the division for the presentation that is covered by the travel award (e.g. Winners of the Knowles or Founder’s Award forfeit a travel award if they had obtained one.)
The deadlines for receipt are 1 March and 1 August, as per the schedule of ACS business. Note that this requires that travel to early spring meetings be applied for the previous summer. We apologize for this long lead time.
A travel award cannot be deferred to a later meeting. Anyone unable to use their travel award funds at the meeting for which the application was made will need to submit an entirely new application for the later meeting, and there is no guarantee that the new application will be chosen for funding.
If for whatever reason (e.g., failure to submit an abstract, non-selection of the abstract, personal decision or change of travel plans) the student/postdoc/faculty does not present a poster or talk at a meeting, then no division travel award funds will be provided.
To apply for a Travel Award
(1) Download and complete the Travel Award Application Coversheet provided near the bottom of this page.
(2) Attach a your abstract on a separate page.
(3) Attach a one-page CV.
(4) Attach a signed letter of recommendation from your faculty advisor that addresses financial need.
(5) Attach proof of ACS and BIOL Division membership, such as a copy of your receipt of a printout of “My Account” from acs.org showing your active BIOL division membership.
(6) Assemble as ONE COMPLETE PDF FILE and email it as an attachment to the division treasurer, Christine Chow (firstname.lastname@example.org)